12th June 2021
Chat with us
What is this course all about
Build your skills as a high-performing team member of an Agile Release Train (ART)—and prepare to support the facilitation of team and program events—
when you become a SAFe® 5 Scrum Master (SSM).
In this two-day course, you’ll:
- Gain an understanding of the role of Scrum Master in a SAFe enterprise.
- Explore the role of the Scrum Master in the context of the entire enterprise.
- Prepare you to successfully plan and execute the Program Increment (PI), the primary enabler of alignment throughout all levels of a SAFe organization.
- Learn the key components of Agile at scale development, how Scrum is facilitated throughout the enterprise, and how to execute Iteration Planning
- Discover how to build high performing Agile teams by becoming a servant leader and coach, and how to coach those teams to deliver the maximum business value at scale
What outcomes can you expect from this course
What you’ll learn
To perform the role of a SAFe Scrum Master, attendees should be able to:
- Describe Scrum in a SAFe enterprise
- Facilitate Scrum events
- Facilitate effective Iteration execution
- Support effective Program Increment execution
- Support relentless improvement
- Coach Agile teams for maximum business results
- Support DevOps implementation
- Introducing Scrum in SAFe
- Characterizing the role of the Scrum Master
- Experiencing Program Increment planning
- Facilitating Iteration execution
- Finishing the Program Increment
- Coaching the Agile team
What are the steps to become a SAFe Agilist
SAFe Agilist Journey
WHY YOU SHOULD become A SAFE® AGILIST?
Nurturing Lean-Agile Mindsets
Nurturing Lean-Agile Mindsets
A Certified SAFe® Scrum Master (SSM) is a SAFe Scrum Master professional responsible for integrating Scrum practices into an organization.
As the demand for SAFe expertise accelerates globally, there is a growing focus on the Scrum Master and the critical role that person plays in a SAFe implementation.
The SSM credential is a must have certification for Scrum Masters looking to boost their value in today’s career marketplace.
Key areas of competency
- Using Scrum and Kanban to facilitate team events
- Supporting program execution
- Coaching Agile teams
Who will benefit from attending this course
All are welcome to attend the course, regardless of experience.
However, the following prerequisites are highly recommended:
- Familiarity with Agile concepts and principles
- Awareness of Scrum, Kanban, and eXtreme Programming (XP)
- Working knowledge of software or hardware development processes
Who will benefit?
Intended for people new to the role of Scrum Master, or people wanting to
better understand the role and how it fits in a SAFe enterprise, attendees
- New or existing Scrum Masters
- Team Leads
- Release Train Engineers
What will attendees get as part of this course
What you get?
Class registration includes:
- Attendee workbook
- Preparation and eligibility to take the SAFe® 5 Scrum Master (SSM) exam
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform
- Course certificate of completion
Attendees must attend both days of the course in order to be eligible for the exam.
What does the certification include?
Becoming a Certified SAFe® Scrum Master requires an exceptional range of skills and is a career path for many Scrum Masters. Certification includes:
- Certified SAFe® Scrum Master PDF certificate
- Certified SAFe® Scrum Master digital badge to promote the accomplishment online
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform, which includes access to the SSM Community of Practice
- Access to Meetup groups and events that provide connections to other certified SAFe professionals
- A variety of learning resources to support certified professionals during their SAFe journey
What are the details for the related exam
Exam prerequisite skills
Experience working in a Lean-Agile environment
The first step toward becoming a Certified SAFe® Scrum Master is to attend the SAFe® Scrum Master course. This is a requirement because attending the course provides access to all the study materials and the exam. Note that attending the course does not guarantee to pass the exam.
- Exam name – SAFe® 4 Scrum Master Exam – or – SAFe® 5 Scrum Master Exam
- Exam format – Multiple choice; Multiple select
- Exam delivery – Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Exam access – Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the SAFe® Scrum Master course
- Exam duration – Once the exam begins, candidates have 90 minutes (1.5 hours) to complete the exam
- Number of questions: 45
- Passing score – SSM 4 = 33 out of 45 (73%); SSM 5.0 =33 out of 45 (73%). Exam score for SSM 5.0 has been updated effective Feb 28 8pm MST. SSM 5.0 passing score prior to February 28 was 34 out of 45 (75%).
- Language – English
- Exam cost – First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
- Retake policy – Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait.
Exam study materials
The exam is designed to measure knowledge and skill related to the job role. We highly recommend candidates use a variety of resources to prepare for this exam including:
- Course materials – The course materials are an essential artifact from the course and can be downloaded from the SAFe Community Platform. These materials can be used to refer back to the content that was presented during the class.
- Study guide – This comprehensive guide details the job role and all resources related to the exam, including a detailed reading list. Access is available through the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform upon course completion.
- Practice test – The practice test is designed to be predictive of success on the certification exam,* and it has the same number of questions, level of difficulty, and time duration. It is part of the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform and can be taken an unlimited number of times at no cost. *This is not the actual exam, and passing it does not guarantee success on the certification exam.
- Sample Questions – A web-enabled, flashcard style version of the sample questions can be found online and in the study guide.
Professional Development Units & Scrum Education Units
PDU's and SEU's
Professional Development Units (PDUs) and Scrum Education Units (SEUs)
Attendees may be eligible to apply for 15 PDUs toward their continuing education requirements with the Project Management Institute (PMI) for PMP, PgMP, and PMI-ACP certifications.
Attendees may be eligible to apply for SEUs under Category C, toward earning or renewing their CSP through Scrum Alliance.
Membership renewals are one year from the date certification is earned.
• Renewal fee: $100