Chat with us
What is this course all about
Facilitate and enable end-to-end value delivery through Agile Release Trains (ARTs)—and learn how to build a high-performing ART by becoming a servant leader and coach—when you become a SAFe® 5 Release Train Engineer RTE).
In this three-day course, you’ll:
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the role and responsibilities of an RTE in the SAFe enterprise transformation of a program inside a government agency.
- Through experiential learning, examine the RTE role in a Lean- Agile
- Learn how to facilitate ART processes and execution, coach leaders, teams, and Scrum Masters in new processes and mindsets.
- Explore how to prepare, plan, and execute a Program Increment (PI) planning event, the primary enabler of alignment throughout all levels of a SAFe organization.
What outcomes can you expect from this course
What you’ll learn
To perform the role of a SAFe® Release Train Engineer, you should be able to:
- Apply Lean-Agile knowledge and tools to execute and release value
- Assist with program and large solution execution
- Foster relentless improvement
- Build a high-performing ART by becoming a servant leader and coach
- Develop an action plan to continue your learning journey
- Access the tools and templates available on the SAFe Community
- Advancing Lean-Agile in government
- Embracing a Lean-Agile mindset
- Understanding SAFe principles
- Creating high-performing Agile teams and programs
- Planning with cadence and synchronization
- Supporting program execution
- Mapping the path to agency and program agility
- Leading successful change
What are the steps to become a SAFe Agilist
SAFe Agilist Journey
WHY YOU SHOULD become A SAFE® AGILIST?
Nurturing Lean-Agile Mindsets
Nurturing Lean-Agile Mindsets
A Certified SAFe® Release Train Engineer (RTE) is a Scaled Agile Framework® (SAFe) program servant leader and coaching professional responsible for driving end-to-end delivery of value in a single program or Value Stream in a Lean-Agile enterprise.
Key areas of competency
- Facilitating program-level ceremonies
- Leading program execution
- Coaching Agile Release Trains (ARTs) and Agile Teams in the relentless improvement of value delivery
- Creating transparency using metrics to initiate and drive positive change
- Facilitating resolution of dependencies, impediments, and risks
Who will benefit from attending this course
All are welcome to attend the course, regardless of experience.
The following prerequisites are highly recommended :
- Have participated in at least one ART and one PI
- Hold at least one current SAFe certification
Who will benefit?
- RTEs and Solution Train Engineers (STEs)
- Program and project managers
- Scrum Masters
- Leaders and managers
- Agile coaches
- SAFe Program Consultants (SPCs)
What will attendees get as part of this course
What you get?
Class registration includes:
- Attendee workbook
- Preparation and eligibility to take the SAFe® 5 Release Train Engineer (RTE) exam
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform
- Course certificate of completion
Attendees must attend both days of the course in order to be eligible for the exam.
What does the certification include?
Becoming a Certified SAFe® Release Train Engineer requires an exceptional range of skills and is a career path for many servant leaders. Certification includes:
- Certified SAFe® Release Train Engineer PDF certificate
- Certified SAFe® Release Train Engineer digital badge to promote your accomplishment online
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform, which includes access to the RTE Community of Practice
- Access to Meetup groups and events that connect you with other SAFe Certified Professionals
- A variety of learning resources to support you during your SAFe journey.
What are the details for the related exam
Exam prerequisite skills
- Cross-team communication skills
- Full use of SAFe Principles in action
- Coach Agile and SAFe facilitation and lead by example
- Launch or participate in at least one ART and one Program Increment (PI)
- Working knowledge of team dynamics
- Ability to manage stakeholders
- Minimum 3 months of real-world, hands-on experience as an RTE
The first step toward becoming a Certified SAFe® Release Train Engineer is to attend the SAFe® Release Train Engineer course. This is a requirement, because attending the course provides access to all the study materials and the exam. Note that attending the course does not guarantee passing the exam
- Exam name – SAFe® 4 Release Train Engineer Exam – or –
SAFe® 5 Release Train Engineer Exam
- Exam format – Multiple choice; Multiple select
- Exam delivery – Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Exam access – Candidates can access to the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of your SAFe® Release Train Engineer course .
- Exam duration – Once the exam begins, candidates have 120 minutes (2 hours) to complete the exam.
- Number of questions: 60
- Passing score – RTE4 exam = 44 out of 60 (73%) – RTE5 exam = 45 out of 60 (75%)
- Language – English
- Exam cost – First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
- Retake policy – Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait.
Exam study materials
The exam is designed to measure knowledge and skill related to the job role. We highly recommend candidates use a variety of resources to prepare for this exam including:
- Course materials – The course materials are an essential artifact from the course and can be downloaded from the SAFe Community Platform. These materials can be used to refer back to the content that was presented during the class.
- Study guide – This comprehensive guide details the job role and all resources related to the exam, including a detailed reading list. Access is available through the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform upon course completion.
- Practice test – The practice test is designed to be predictive of success on the certification exam,* and it has the same number of questions, level of difficulty, and time duration. It is part of the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform and can be taken an unlimited number of times at no cost. *This is not the actual exam, and passing it does not guarantee success on the certification exam.
- Sample Questions – A web-enabled, flashcard style version of the sample questions can be found online and in the study guide.
Professional Development Units & Scrum Education Units
PDU's and SEU's
Professional Development Units (PDUs) and Scrum Education Units (SEUs)
Attendees may be eligible to apply for 15 PDUs toward their continuing education requirements with the Project Management Institute (PMI) for PMP, PgMP, and PMI-ACP certifications.
Attendees may be eligible to apply for SEUs under Category C, toward earning or renewing their CSP through Scrum Alliance.
Membership renewals are one year from the date certification is earned.
• Renewal fee: $100